market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] raccoon strategies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tom at Limerock" <limerock AT thirdplanet.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] raccoon strategies
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 10:27:09 -0400

Sorry to hear of your terrible losses!

When I use a live trap, the best bait I have found is marshmellows. I put one or two in a line towards the trap opening and then toss another two into the back of the trap. I have trapped coons, skunks, ground hogs, and possums with marshmellows.

Several years ago, when the coons were bad in our vineyard, someone told me to put a radio out there at night. Said that coons don't like people and noise. I took a boom box out and tuned in some all night talk show and turned it off during the day. Did this until I could get all the grapes picked. I think it helped but it was hard to really tell if it did any good.

Good luck!

Tom Anslow
Limerock Orchards and Roadside Market