market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Microgreens

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Home Grown Kansas! <hgkansas AT sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Microgreens
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 13:41:22 -0700 (PDT)

Maurice - What kind of a compost blend do you use and how much do you put in your trays.  You say to cover very lightly - do you mean with compost?  Thanks.  Pat

"Maurice E. Smith" <maurice AT chibardun.net> wrote:
We do about 45 different microgreens and we do not soak the seeds. We grow
ours in seed trays filled with a compost blend (works best) or soil less mix
(expensive). We sell most of ours for $3.75 per ounce, a few like carrot,
fennel, basil we sell for $4.00 per ounce. We grow them year around in our
greenhouses.

During cool weather the trays should be placed in a warm chamber to enhance
germination. Use a mister for watering or you will dislodge the seeds. Do
not over water when the greens are up or they will die. When you put the
seed in the tray cover it very lightly and keep moist until germination.
After germination remove from warm chamber and grow for 2 to 3 weeks
depending on how big you want them.

Maurice Smith
DragSmith Farms
Barron, WI