market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] everbearing strawberries (was strawberry prices)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] everbearing strawberries (was strawberry prices)
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 15:53:57 -0400

Remove all runners when you see them. Runner prevent the plant from forming new crowns and that is where the bulk of the berries will come. I find that the plants produce 3 or 4 nice big berries per cluster and the rest are small. Remove the small ones after you pick the large ones and the flowers will come back much faster. Remove all misshapened ones ASAP. I try and get them when they are tiny and green. This will make the remaining berries larger.

you will get a far smaller harvest each time you pick but over the season you will end up about the same as june bearing plants. You do have to pick about every 24 hours until frost.

We are getting around 6 pints a day from 200 or so plants but we sustained some major vole damage this spring. hey were living under he landscape fabric mulch and undermining the plants and stealing berries. We evicted them and put down a lo of compost and the plants are responding well and should double or triple the output in a month or so

Marie Kamphefner wrote:

Regards to the list:

Lucy, we planted everbearers for the first time this spring, only because the severe Easter freeze knocked out all our June bearers. What can we expect from these everbearers? We planted Eversweets. We have been picking off the first blooms, but a few escaped our pruning and they have lots of little berries set on.

Thank you for whatever information you can tell me.

Marie in Missouri