market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] well storage tank?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] well storage tank?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 13:12:14 -0500

On Sat, Jun 02, 2007 at 04:32:04PM -0500, Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> Our well is used with no tank at all. We turn on the pump, and pump into
> the main line into the layflat. Well cap. is 50 GPM. Each zone area uses 40
> GPM. To control the pressure on the drip line we have a gate valve on the
> lay flat. After the drip lines are charged the valve is pinched down to
> control the pressure. The pump holds the back pressure. Backpressure will
> not hurt the pump. Matter of fact, in using a pump what you pay for in
> power use is volume. Volume = more amps pressure = less amps. Bill

Well..... maybe I'm full of it, but I haven't known of a pump with such
behavior. My mental model of an electric pump is that it draws a fixed
amount of current when running and you can choke it down to produce as
little water as you want but you still use that fixed amount of
electricity.

I know a peach grower that has a big diesel engine driving his pump.
He is able to throttle the engine up and down to produce the desired
quantity of water. But all the electric pumps I know of are fixed
speed.

Since my plumbing is only good for 60 psi or so, I start to break
things when I allow pressure up to that level.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 441 days 19 hours 58 minutes