market-farming - [Market-farming] increasing mid-week market sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] increasing mid-week market sales
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:21:57 -0600

Good morning everyone!

During the winter months (off-sales time for most – unless they have high tunnels!), our Farmers’ Market Board meets several times to plan the coming season.  In the three seasons our producer-only market has been in existence, we have enjoyed great growth – beyond our dreams.  However, our mid-week (we are open Saturday and Tuesday mornings) sales just are not as good as we’d like.  Because of the lack of crowd, many of our farmers who come a long distance decide it’s not worth the drive.  We know a lot of it has to do with work schedules, and even tried a late afternoon market – and that was even worse!  If anyone has a “tried and true” strategy for increasing customer traffic at a mid-week market, we’d love to hear it!  Keep in mind we don’t have a market manager – the farmers basically run the market as volunteers and time in the summer is at a premium!

 Secondly, we are always looking for ways to recruit new vendors and would welcome ideas about recruitment.

Finally, here’s our market website – still under construction, but getting there!   http://www.skyfarmersmarket.com

Thanks!!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm