market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] increasing mid-week market sales

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "SHEILA PAYNE" <srp75 AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] increasing mid-week market sales
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:32:52 -0700

Hi,

I'm on the board of the Boulder County Farmer's Market in Colorado.    Here's some of the things we've done at the market in Boulder (we have another Saturday only market in the town of Longmont).

  • Changed the hours from the morning to after work -- 4 to 8 p.m. (late in the year when it is getting dark earlier many of our growers put Christmas lights on their tents -- it looks so festive).
  • Our Saturday market was at capacity (space is limited) and so new growers can sell at the Wednesday market or in Longmont.
  • We have prepared food vendors -- people shop and have supper.
  • Live music -- a local artist, and occasional special events like a  kids tent.
  • Beer and wine tent -- Colorado micro-brews and wine.  We rotate through the producers so they all get a chance in the spotlight.
  • Give away $1 coupons at other weeknight events
  • Advertise and send out an e-mail newsletter
  • Got to critical mass -- the more growers, food vendors, and people on the street, the more customers.
  • It's a destination -- next to a park,  downtown, restaurants -- people come to just hang out
  • Here's our website  http://www.boulderfarmers.org/