market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] winter temp hoophouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: lists AT rhomestead.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] winter temp hoophouses
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 06:32:29 -0400

I posted 3 entries on my blog on how to build a simple and cheap hoophouse that one or two people can put up in an afternoon

http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com/2006/02/hoophouse-how-to-part-1-what-you-need.html#links
http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com/2006/02/hoophouse-how-to-part-2.html#links
http://boulerbelt.blogspot.com/2006/02/hoophouse-how-to-part-3.html#links

This design uses metal conduit not PVC (conduit cost more initially but will last you 20 to 50 years, is more environmentally friendly, a lot stronger and does not break down in sunlight/weather).

Lucy Goodman
Boulder Belt Eco-Farm
Eaton, OH
http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com

Beth Spaugh wrote:

I want to erect "temporary" field houses this fall to keep greens going
through December. We usually don't have heavy snows until spring.
Has anyone heard Eliot Coleman recently to know if he has changed his winter
hoophouse design from that in his Winter Harvest Manual?

Or do others have ways that work?

I have 20 foot pieces of PVC and new sheets of greenhouse plastic. I was
going to not do the rebar inner support and take the plastic off in December
or January. Haven't figured out the end attachments/walls yet. For summer, I
know someone who just gathers the end plastic together and knots it. He
enters by lifting up the plastic on the side. In the Winter Harvest Manual
Coleman buries the sides of his plastic and enters via a slanted end
structure with door.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY