market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Harlequin Bugs
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:59:59 -0400

One way to avoid having brassicas exposed is to use rowcover for
a while. There's no easy organic answer.

Here's the killer: harlequins are as prone to WALK as they are to fly. If they walk, your row cover has to fit so tightly that you won't really be able to easily manage your crop under the cover. My assumption is that my tunnel would then become, yes, a sanctuary for harelquins. (We've witnessed the harlequins walking in mass from one bed to another several times.)

KNOCK ON WOOD, Pam, but I have found the natural cure for harlequins and hope to talk about it in a future issue of ACRES USA. There are some real lessons in farm-based research in our experiences this season, most of them very humorous.

Later