market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] growing corn, grinding and making corn meal

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT wisc.edu>
  • To: farmersue AT hughes.net, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] growing corn, grinding and making corn meal
  • Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 11:18:31 -0500

I am curious about this too. I suspect the corn would need to be ground and bagged in a certified kitchen. Then you'd need to deal with storage to ensure that critters did not get into the bags. Cornmeal alone would likely not warrant building a kitchen facility but if it was part of an enterprise that produced other items it might make sense. Of course, you can also sometimes find certified kitchens to rent or use for free. Anybody out there grinding corn on a commercial--but small--scale?

-John
Wisconsin

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1535 Observatory Drive
Madison, WI 53706
608-265-3704