market-farming - [Market-farming] Tomato problem

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TradingPostPaul" <tradingpost AT riseup.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Tomato problem
  • Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:24:27 -0600

Tomatoes generally need at least 60 night and no more than 75 day degrees
to grow, hold blossoms, and set fruit. Temperatures in the 90s will do
nothing. Even Heat Wave won't set fruit at the higher temperatures. Disease
problems are trickier, but healthy soil is the best insurance against
disease. Chemical nitrogen pushes foliage at the expense of fruit, and
attracts pests and makes plants more vulnerable to disease. If the soil has
plenty of decomposing organic matter and fair humus level, it's likely the
helpful microorganisms are there to combat the bad guys, and it helps
buffer ph and makes certain minerals more available to growing plants. The
problem may be as simple as poor soil structure - low organic matter -
draining poorly or just uneven moisture retention. Credible research has
demonstrated these points for decades. I've ignored these things and cut
corners in the past to my own disappointment.

paul, tradingpost AT riseup.net
The outstanding scientific discovery of the twentieth century is not
television, or radio, but rather the complexity of the land organism. Only
those who know the most about it can appreciate how little we know about
it.
- Aldo Leopold in Round River, 1933