market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ?garlic gardening festival in Minnesota

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sean Albiston <lab AT physics.umn.edu>
  • To: thekunkelhouse <thekunkelhouse AT peoplepc.com>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ?garlic gardening festival in Minnesota
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 10:17:56 -0500

thekunkelhouse wrote:

Hi all-I read in recent weeks of a garden festival in southern Minnesota - I think a garlic festival? any one have any knowledge of this happening? thank you! Diane

from sustag listserve:

Join the Crow River Chapter of the Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota at the First Annual Minnesota Garlic Festival!

Come to farm country and taste the bounty! The first annual Minnesota Garlic Festival, taking place on Saturday, August 12th, is the premiere event for lovers of garlic. This family-friendly festival features local foods, chefs, music, artisans, games, and competitions - all in support of a healthy environment, family farms and vital rural communities in Minnesota. According to Jerry Ford, President of the Crow River Chapter of the Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota and Garlic Festival organizer, "Our official reason for starting Minnesota Garlic Festival is to promote our state's wonderful gourmet garlic, to let people know about the great sustainable farmers we have here, and to support our rural communities. We're going to do all that, but people are going to come away remembering that they had a lot of fun!"

With over 100 varieties of gourmet garlic grown right here in Minnesota, all planted in October and harvested in July, growers will introduce their fresh 2006 garlic at this event. As well as being wonderfully tasty, garlic is documented as one of the healthiest foods you can eat.

All day entertainment features kid’s musician Will Hale; the Garlic Diva, Kitty Karn; The Mu Community Taiko Drummers with powerful Japanese percussion; Bella Voce, performing medieval music with a twist; Mariénne Kreitlow, composer of the top ten garlic hits “I Like Garlic”, “The Vampire Song” and “The Stinking Rose”, and headliners Papa John Kolstad and the Hot Club of East Lake. Ford said, "The Minnesota Garlic Festival is to festivals what garlic is to food: a little funky, a bit spicy, and really good for you. The same goes for the entertainment - from tongue-in-cheek operatic to vintage jazzy blues to Japanese drumming to hysterical kid's songs, with a dragon and a vampire thrown in for fun."

The festivities start at 11:00 am and run until 9:00 pm at the Wright County Fairgrounds in Howard Lake, MN. The admission is $5 for adults and $3 for children under 12 and there is free on-site parking. For more information visit www.sfa-mn.org/pages/garlicfest.index.html or contact Jerry Ford, at (320) 543-3394 or jerry AT marinne.com.

Minnesota Garlic Festival is presented by Crow River Sustainable Farming Association, and is funded in part by the Initiative Foundation, Citizens State Bank of Waverly, The Bremer Foundation, Bridge of Harmony, Taralan Crop Consultants, and other sponsors.

###

The Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota (SFA of MN) is a non-profit educational organization. SFA’s mission is to support the development and enhancement of sustainable farming systems through farmer-to-farmer