market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Carrot question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kelly Saxer" <kellysaxer AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Carrot question
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 17:21:31 -0700

I've been growing a carrot variety called Mokum that I get from Johnny's. It's a fairly thin carrot, but can get 6-7 inches long and about an inch in diameter if left to reach maturity and it's one of the sweetest carrots I've ever tasted (a big hit with my CSA members). It is a really early carrot...I think about 60 days. I've grown them in clay and sandy soil with great success. I live in Arizona, so I plant carrots beginning in November and harvest them through May. I've never thinned the Mokum carrots and I'm not the most meticulous weeder, either. I water via flood irrigation every 2 weeks during the winter months and then once a week when temps rise above 90 degrees or so.

They might be worth a try...

Kelly
Desert Roots Farm
Queen Creek, Arizona