market-farming - [Market-farming] Carrot question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Carrot question
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 18:16:17 -0400

I've never had any luck with carrots in our heavy clay soils. This year I
took one of my improved raised beds and double dug it 18", added peat
moss, removed all rocks, and planted seed for 7" long carrots. It's been
warm and sunny and I followed all the watering and (organic) fertilizing
advice, and have some nice looking, bug-free carrot plants. BUT it's been
72 days
since I planted the first batch of seed, and the carrots are only about 3"
long and pencil-sized. According to what I've read, they should be ready
to harvest by now. Why are they growing so slowly?

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA