market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New Farmers' Market question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New Farmers' Market question
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 12:06:37 -0400

Check your state laws; maybe you can form an agricultural cooperative in a hurry, and you should be able to get insurance for the cooperative.

You almost certainly do need to form some sort of formal organization; for this and other reasons. If there are disagreements (if? almost certainly there will be disagreements, of some sort, sooner or later) there needs to be some set of written-down standards for how to sort them out.

You might want to call more than one insurance carrier, in any case.

It's too bad this issue didn't surface until the day before opening! Maybe you could stand to put the insurance in somebody's name temporarily?