market-farming - [Market-farming] Mexican Bean Beetle

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: pam AT twinoaks.org
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Mexican Bean Beetle
  • Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 20:52:53 -0400

A few days ago someone asked if anyone used the pedio wasps against Mexican
Bean Beetle. I sent a message to say I do, but it bounced, so here it is again:
            I buy the company pedio wasps from a small and friendly company
in TN. <www.biconet.com>
    They have more info at <http://www.biconet.com/biocontrol/pediobius.html>
    You can find a list of suppliers of beneficial organisms at
    <http://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/ipminov/bensuppl.htm>
            Order the wasps when you see the first larvae. It helps if you make
    a relatively small first planting, then the pedio wasps can get to grip with the
    beetles in time for bigger later plantings. Otherwise you'll have to invest in
    more units of the parasite. The sign that all is working well, is the presence
    of shrunken brown mummified larvae, (and fewer holes in the leaves!)
            Very worthwhile, in my opinion,
            Pam Dawling, Twin Oaks Community, central Virginia, zone 7