market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Michael Pollan article

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <Allan AT freshandlocalcsa.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Michael Pollan article
  • Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 22:58:16 -0400

Just seeking some clarification:

It is my understanding that Joel printed an entire financial disclosure in a recent issue of GRASSMAN. I did not see that disclosure, but I heard that his income from books and speaking was much less than one would imagine. (Joel does a lot of pro bono work, as well. He is committed to the movement that he's become a leader in. Catch in him DC this Saturday (MAY 6) speaking on LOCAL FOOD at the PETROCOLLAPSE Conference) It is also my understanding that Art is not longer associated with Polyface (happened in the past year). And Polyface has become less of a fixture at DC farmers markets, as well.

I agree with you. Pollan writes about Joel as a hero of local food because he would not ship a steak from Swoope to Manhattan, but never mentions that Joel trucks tons of products the 3 hours to DC every year. I would hope that a city the size of Charlottesville could support a farm the size of Polyface. Not so, apparently.

-Allan