market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] green garlic...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Alex McGregor" <waldenfarm AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] green garlic...
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 10:55:31 -0400

I started selling green garlic as culls from my beds of garlic.

In this part of the country (SE TN) I plant garlic cloves in the fall and
harvest around the first week of July. I learned about selling green
garlic from farmers in the Atlanta area. One farmer there told me he
pulled out all the young, tender garlic that looked like it wouldn't make
marketable sized heads and sold them in bunches.

This means I have 2 forms of garlic to sell at markets before harvesting
and curing- green garlic and garlic scapes. If no one is doing these 2 in
your area, be prepared to do a lot of education and point them out to
customers. And have recipes and use tips at the ready.

Alex McGregor
Walden Farm

greens! I am interested in this. I harvest garlic here in mid July, so
how much earlier would I harvest it to get the garlic greens? I may just
try planting some for next year with the small bulbs that I don't feel are
good enough to plant. I just can't believe I have never heard of such a
beast! Where have I had my head burried? I love the idea...only problem
is around here, our markets dont' start until mid May. Or would that work
to my benefit for this? I would love to know how soon you harvest
this...or did you say already and my head is still burried somewhere?