market-farming - [Market-farming] Lady bugs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Miranda Smith <miranda AT tagoresmith.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Lady bugs
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 12:30:36 -0400

I used lady bugs for a long time and had great results with them, so I'm adding a couple of comments. First of all, if you look for native ladybugs, try the south sides of buildings and bushes--they generally aren't buried too far under the soil--an inch or two at the most.

Secondly, if you buy them--which I would recommend--buy some food for the adults, too. The larvae subsist on insects alone, but the adults require pollen to reproduce. Because you aren't likely to have lots of flowering plants that they like at this time of year, you'll need to feed the adults. You can mix up 1 part water, 1 part sugar, and 1/2 part brewer's yeast or buy "Weast," which contains whey. I think this is the best solution but have had ladybugs that did reproduce whtn eating the home-made mix.

Tape pieces of waxed paper to branches or the sides of flats--anywhere that the ladybugs can crawl rather than fly, and dribble the food onto the sheets every morning or every other morning. Don't coat the whole sheet--just dribble small streaks of the stuff. Put out the sheets fairly close to areas of aphid concentration so they don't have far to go to find it.

It's also important to release ladybugs in late twilight. Otherwise, they have a tendency to fly towards the light and commit hari-kari by bashing their little heads into the glazing. Pick your release spots earlier in the day, chosing areas where there are lots of aphids. Handle them GENTLY. They are delicate creatures--don't let anyone who is squeamish do this job--they will crawl over you as well as the plants while you are releasing them and you'll need to guide the strays onto the plants.

Don't release all of them at once--you'll get a quart at a time. Keep the bag in the refrigerator, where the temperatures will keep them dormant, and release some every 5 to 7 days or so.

You'll begin to see pupae within a week or so of releasing your first batch. They will be positioned in areas of indirect light--they fry in hot spots. Newly hatched larvae are tiny--don't mistake them for pests. They grow quickly and will begin reproducing if you care for them well.

And finally, don't use any pesticides of any sort --botanical or otherwise, even soap-- while ladybugs are in the house. They will do a super job and you just don't need anything else.

Miranda Smith