market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] leeks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] leeks
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 04:14:34 -0800 (PST)

Toni, what zone are you in?? I'm having a devil of a
time figuring out what I can plant, when, and what I
can leave as permanent plantings up here. Down on the
coast I had a permanent leek and green onion
patch...not sure if that's doable up here. The zone
charts say one thing but people up here tell me
another. And they should know. I'm used to planting
out pansies in the fall to overwinter. Against their
advice I set out pansies 2 weeks ago and they FROZE
and we've not had much different temps than my old
place on the coast. Even though the temps are not
that cold it's different somehow...Anyone else
growing/farming at 3000 ft elevation??

Liz Pike
Hillsville VA