market-farming - [Market-farming] Energy conservation in greenhouses / hoop houses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Steve Diver <steved AT ncat.org>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Energy conservation in greenhouses / hoop houses
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:39:50 -0600

Many growers are using hoop houses and modified
greenhouses structures.

Here is one article I'll pass along concerning
energy savings from greenhouse design and technology.

Just this last month I've talked a string of growers
and engineers looking at energy savings in greenhouses,
many focusing on solar designs with super-insulated
north and side walls, as well as many inquiries on
root-zone heating.

The High Tunnels workshop in St. Joseph, MO,
featured a couple of growers using root-zone
heating.

Steve Diver

Advances of Plasticulture Technologies 1977 – 2000
By Gene A. Giacomelli, Stephen A.Garrison, Merle Jensen, David R. Mears,
James W. Paterson, William J. Roberts, and Otho S.Wells
http://www.plasticulture.org/history_advances.htm

See:

Plastic Greenhouse Energy Conservation
David R. Mears, Bioresource Engineering, Rutgers University

See Graphic:
Annual Energy Purchase Requirement Per Square Foot
http://www.plasticulture.org/history/energy_purchase.gif

*single-span; single glazing; multi-span; double film; floor
heating; heat curtain; solar; wastewater heat