market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] goats & turkeys

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] goats & turkeys
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 17:43:30 -0600

More on goats...while of course they are EXCELLENT at eating down browse (all the things you mentioned Liz) many goat owners have learned (the sad, hard way) that tethering goats to accomplish your goal is a very bad idea - of course they would be helpless if attacked by dogs, e.g., but, more importantly, they very often manage to hang or choke themselves (unlike, say, tethering a dog).

I know that there are many times when tethering a goat has NOT resulted in tragedy...but it happens often enough that I won't sell a goat to someone who plans to tether it....that is JUST my opinion so not trying to open a discussion or argument...just offering thirteen years' of goat raising experience in two states!!!. Take it for what is worth!!!

The alternative is perimeter or electric (portable) fencing, both of which can be very expensive and/or time consuming to put in. And on a scale of 1 to 10 (in terms of ease of keeping inside a fence) hamsters might be a 1, cows a 3, deer are 10, and goats are an 11. I have lost more than one goat sale with this example, but all the customers I do end up with are happy and so are the goats!

nan at dancing goats farm, n. mississippi