market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] naturally grown

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lori Sands" <tchfrch AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] naturally grown
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:32:34 -0500

We are CNG.
We used to be Certified, and were "nothing' for a few years in between. As Lucy says, we are certified by our customers. We follow ALL of the rules for Certified organic and we keep up with the OMRI list, know what's happening, keep anal records about everything.

The reason we are CNG is to keep it local-- its about community; a community of farmers, a community of eaters.

Certified organic may open bigger markets to us, but we don't want or need them. The large co-op store in the nearest big city is happy with our CNG eggs. If a customer asks they tell them that our hens are pastured, they eat only certified organic grains; not even our non-organic table scraps go to the chickens. The restaurant in town is happy with our CNG vegetables.

I am horrified to hear about a CNG farmer using Round Up, it makes us all look bad. All of the CNG farmers I know are looking for less paperwork and less federal involvement.

Anyway- felt the need to chime in here. Perhaps sometime we will be C.O. again, but not this year...

Lori and Ben
Silver Wheel Farm
PA

  • Re: [Market-farming] naturally grown, Lori Sands, 03/14/2006