market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] need some project advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] need some project advice
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:53:46 -0500

Hi Judy,
Before moving to a small farm in Kentucky, i used to be the gardening
teacher at a Public Waldorf Methods School in Sacramento. We had made
beds for many flowers and foods, small vineyard, "orchard", patches of
grains, compost areas, and good tool room laden with grant-provided
tools. The whole thing is such a wonderful idea, but not an easy task
for a few reasons. A big problem with some of the annual crops is that
they will be producing when the kids are on summer break. Also, during
that time, parents and volunteers must take over all the tasks of the
garden with regularity. In our very arid area, that was difficult for
us. Even in a school with great volunteerism it was always the same
parents working very hard to do all the children don't have time for!
Still - what a wondrous thing it is to do. Our kids were mostly
inner-city children, the time in the gardens made noticeable attitudinal
change when they were back at their classroom tasks.
Your plans for herbs and perennials are great - we focused on those
for all they give while the kids are in session. flowers were their
favorites all thru the year. We chose to grow salad bar foods and lots of
snowpeas, peas, and sunflowers. The kids got to munch in the play yard
and use the gardens with respect. We trucked in a load of hay bales,
which rapidly moved around to form impromptu forts or ampitheater. The
kids used some good energy moving those things around each day!
Keep us updated on the good plans. Sometimes it dismays me how little
connection with food and nature the last few generations have had....it
seem dangerous in any society! Thanks for helping.
Toni
E KY