market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] need some project advice

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] need some project advice
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:21:36 -0500

I suspect the beds will provide enough for a class or three to process and eat once or more. They will certainly provide plenty of upkeep work. The main thing that hit me was the lack of a small grain (wheat, spelt, etc) for Greece. Granted, it will ripen while they are on summer break, but still – if they could bind the wheat, thresh it, and grind enough for some bread … But with your barley and oats the wheat might be redundant. But bread or pizza dough is something they can relate to. Most of them probably won’t recognize nonquick oats or barley. Maybe take out the barley and oats, and put chickpeas (maybe offseason would be cool enough?) and eggplant. What grain is in tabouleh? Bulgur made from wheat? Move some Egyptian herbs over to Mesopotamia? Make a rice paddy?

I am quickly getting beyond what I know so better stop.

Beth Spaugh
Rehoboth Homestead
Peru NY
http://rhomestead.com