market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] New to this list

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Goodman <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] New to this list
  • Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 10:46:22 -0500

Sue,

it takes several years to build up a customer base when you are new to an established farmers' market. You observation that it seemed as though you were being ignored is right on-you were. But don't be discouraged, you will do better this season and even better next year customer-wise, it just takes time.

one thing you could do that i will be willing to bet few if anyone else at your market is doing is getting email addresses and start putting out a weekly email the day before your market. Put in a paragraph or two about your farming exp for the week and than list what you will be bringing. When I do this I never list prices. people will get to know you quickly and than will start becoming loyal to your stand and you sales will increase.

I have been doing this for about 7 years and really did not know how much impact this had on our sale until last year I did this sporadically. I noticed about a $100 jump in sales when I manged to get one written and sent (I was farm hunting all summer plus doing a market garden and markets and a CSA last year so time was tighter for me than normal and the newsletters did not get written weekly). It also helps to have a list of LOCAL emails (these do no good if sent to people who cannot ever get to your markets because they live in another part of the world) that has at least 100 emails on it. putting out a clipboard with a pen tied to it (so it will not be stolen) and a sheet of paper will generate a lot of local emails in a short period of time.

the other thing I would advise is until you get a decent customer base (and you are doing things right from your description so this should happen) is don't do a lot of heirloom varieties. It is good to have some heirloom stuff (and you will get a following for your strange fruits if you give it time) but be sure you have a good compliment of boring red tomatoes and green to red bell peppers and other things that people expect. this will draw them in initially and some will be brave enough to buy the brandywine tomato or the costata romanesque zucchini or the ailsa craig onion and they will return for more great food.

My first year of doing a farmers' market I grossed $850 and wondered why everyone went to the other farmers to buy their stuff. After sticking it out for 4 years my farm became one of the highest selling farms at that market. And my farm is not the biggest farm landwise by any stretch of the imagination. I think we will do about 3 acres in market garden this year and have 9 acres total.

Lucy Goodman
http://www.boulderbeltfarm.com
http://www.nonais.org