market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Fwd: Please act today. BioDemocracy Under Attackin Misso...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Brigette Leach <avalonfarmshomegrown AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Fwd: Please act today. BioDemocracy Under Attackin Misso...
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 16:04:54 -0500

Karen,
No, I am none of those things and my very flip comment on being schizophrenic was based on comments people have made to me. Many consumers are confused by positions that they interpret as being conflicting. I would also like to see discussions move to the next level, but that is a two way street, and all parties to a discussion must be willing to back up their statements as well. Just because information is in a press release does not make it fact, as others have implied that the information presented was factual. I can ask the same of them, show me the language of the legislation, if indeed GE/GMO's are part of the text, then I will accept it as being factual, until then it is no more and no less than "spin". Since I wasn't presenting any data with my comment, therefore nothing to manipulate, it is an opinion, and just as all of you who have commented, I am entitled to have it. Maybe I should start to attach press releases from Farm Bureau and Monsanto? If I were to do that, how would it be received by the list? And why would it be any different than the press release that we are barking at each other over?

One has to ask why some of you get so prickly when your position is questioned? Why is my comment being labeled as being a diatribe, thank you David, when others on the list have gone off on any number of topics in the past, far more extensively and no more factually, and their comments don't elicit the same type of negative comments? But I guess it isn't a diatribe when your opinion happens to match theirs? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mike understood more closely what I was saying and I appreciate his comment. I didn't in any way imply that anyone wasn't doing their part to affect change, simply saying that if you don't like the position that your county and state Farm Bureaus have taken, then you need to get involved.

Farm Bureau is a grass roots organization, it's policies are examined by members on an annual basis, beginning with members at the local level. Issues and positions are subjected to hours of discussion and examination from members on all sides of a particular issue. At least in Michigan, we go to great lengths to protect the credibility of the policy development process, emphasis on process. Every member has multiple opportunities to present their position on any given issue. I am aware that many people find it hard to understand the inverted structure of Farm Bureau in a business environment so embedded with top down management structures and attitudes. I am also aware that sometimes people with strongly held positions cannot or will not subject their position to scrutiny.

Facts by themselves are not the only factor that comes into play when attempting to put forth an argument. Other factors include such things as credibility, the way your position is stated, how you've behaved in the past, what you and your operation look like, and if you already have a working relationship with the audience that is being addressed, whether it is a legislative body or a neighbor. It's as much psychology as anything else.

Have a good day..
Brigette
Avalon Farms Homegrown