market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] alternative pressure treated wood

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William B. Evans" <wbe AT ra.msstate.edu>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] alternative pressure treated wood
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 16:13:02 -0600

Nan,

If you are doing replicated research in the beds then rectangles and sides are needed.  If not (i.e. you're doing observations or demos mostly, then you might consider raised landscape mounds and curved sides for display type beds.  Bricks, rocks, metal, precast or cast in place concrete/light concrete, or nothing can edge between these and turf or pathways.  For raised beds, you might find a donor of scrap iron sheeting.  I know there is lower metals content in PT wood these days but I know nothing on true leaching etc.  Try this site for new wood overview...
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/pages/h00127.asp

Best of luck with it,
Bill