market-farming - [Market-farming] treated wood in greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Strawberry Wine <strawbry_wine AT yahoo.com>
  • To: MF <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] treated wood in greenhouse
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 15:49:42 -0800 (PST)

I've searched for this answer and gotten mixed results--seems to depend on which certifier one uses.  The greenhouse tables are constructed with treated lumber.  The tables are about 10 years+ old & covered with wire on which the nursery trays sit--starndard greenhouse set-up.  Is this enough distance from an organic certifier's viewpoint?? Or will they want the wood replaced, covered up, etc, etc?? (I'm still trying to figure out who certifies in this area, got a couple of leads, but no responses to phone calls yet.)

Also, most of our pasture posts are locust but a few have been replaced with treated lumber.  There are none within about 200 feet of possible growing space, and like the greenhouse tables they're 10 yrs old+.  Will we need to replace these or adjust a buffer zone??

& thanks for all the earlier responses!

Liz Pike
Joe Rotenberry
Hillsville VA