market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] house tomatoes, Grow Bags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mjb <mjb AT premier1.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] house tomatoes, Grow Bags
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 13:28:56 -0800

Adriana,

I really don't know how many points were left on each vine. We took off suckers, and frankly sometimes a good job was done, and sometimes we got behind and it seemed we were "clearing". I did drop the vines. We planted into pots in March, and they grew into November when finally the chickens moved in creating dust and condensation from the house made the vines wet . Perfect set up for blight, which then hit. They all did real well. I would say the heirlooms did the best. Brandywines, Striped German, Pruden's Purple were the best tasting and the largest.

My goal someday is to have enough time and money to hit all of the conferences and workshops throughout the nation. The one you mention has been one I've looked at. Unfortunately (or really fortunately) we are moving the farm in a few weeks and are not going to have any time for anything.

Michaele

Michaele ,
How many growing points did you leave on each vine?
Did you drop the vines?
How far apart were your plants?
What time of year di you grow them?
What varieties did best?

Speaking of greenhouse tomatoes, there's an excellent Greenhouse Tomato Short Course put on every year by the University of Mississippi. http://www.msstate.edu/dept/cmrec/ghsc.htm Registration is a steal at only $100 so you may be able to afford some travel and a hotel...

Adriana

Re: Grow Bags

OK. What's a "grow bag"? And does anyone know what sort of soil mix
is used in is...organically, in particular? -Allan

Grow Bags are made of either UV resistant plastic with drainage holes or out of nylon similar to greenhouse ground cloth... Mary Peet of tniversity of North Carolina has done some excellent research on organic greenhouse tomatoes - http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/greenhouse_veg/topics/organic-production-article.htm.

Adriana