market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] clean starting trays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] clean starting trays
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:00:15 -0600

My reply will be considered heresy by some (or maybe MANY!).  We do not clean starting trays.  If the transplants we remove from trays have a noticeable disease issue, we throw those inserts away.  But, for the most part, we recycle inserts as long as they hold together, and we never clean or bleach them.  However, if you do the same, know that it is possible that at some point, it could cause you considerable disease issues.  You make the decision knowing possible consequences - or even better, bleach some and don't bleach some, and see whether there is any difference.

 Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm