market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: ktk2a <ktk2a AT earthlink.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:04:03 -0500

Squash pollen does not blow around in the wind like corn pollen, its heavy dense and sticky and needs bees to move it around. A bee needs to enter a flower at least 10 times to fully pollinate a squash flower, without bees we don't get any fruit set. This tell me that spacing is not the issue its keeping the bees out. If you want to save seed from a squash plant you need to enclose the plant under a row cover and hand pollinate each flower yourself... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

ktk2a wrote:

Can anyone give a little advice on how far apart to plant winter squash varieties so as to avoid cross-pollination?Thanks. KathyCedarglenWashington