market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Corn Gluten Meal As Preemergence Herbicide

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Elaine Granata" <ecgranat AT ouray.cudenver.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Corn Gluten Meal As Preemergence Herbicide
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 09:17:56 -0700

All: I've been using corn gluten for the nitrogen source, not to control
weed germination -- I've trusted that it would prevent my crop seed from
germinating, so am careful with its use -- only on transplants, or I wait
six weeks before seeding. Also, it's so expensive, I can't justify using it
in pathways for weed control.

I originally tried it on my home lawn which was full of weeds, and in two
consecutive years of use it decreased the annual weeds in the lawn
dramatically probably 85-90%.

I get mine from Unlimited Expectations who distribute locally in Denver,
hence no shipping. Their web site is www.unlimited-expectations.com, Jim
Holland at (720) 260-0736. I think it's about $20.00 a bag. Before this I
got it at a bird store-- where bird seed, houses, etc are sold.

Elaine