market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Shiitake Mushrooms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Errol Castens <castens AT peoplepc.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Shiitake Mushrooms
  • Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 15:34:44 -0600 (GMT-06:00)

Some of the material I read from extension researchers indicated very good
growing conditions and management are required to make shiitakes pay off. As
they require an enormous amount of labor and some capital up front, I'd read
up before I poured a lot of sweat into the less-than-optimum start you'd get
with anything other than live hardwoods, even if not oak. (I Googled
"shiitake" and got several how-to guides.) You may decide that's an
enterprise your resources don't fit.

Blessings,
errol castens
Oxford, Mississippi