market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Economics of starting a market garden enterprise

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: robert schuler <sunnfarm AT bellatlantic.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Economics of starting a market garden enterprise
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:30:39 -0500

The last time I passed through Trumbauersville was 20 years ago when I bought a tractor from the Keller brothers, back then it was still somewhat rural but I understand its since become Mc mansionville. There is a good upscale market potential in the Bucks county area. You are in an enviable location with more farmer's markets and weekly farm auctions within thirty minutes drive than anybody in the country and  the soils there are generally high Ph silt loams which hold moisture and grow very high quality crops. As long as your land is paid for things can only get better...
One problem I face and I think everyone in market farming faces is... We can make a good living from our land in the short term, we can pay our immediate bills including mortgage, taxes equipment loans and insurance. But we can not make  good long term income that goes into savings for retirement. I hate to say it but for most folks its better to get a real job and leave the farming to diehard fools like myself... Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

"Andrew R. King" wrote:

Robert Schuler

I Read your 12/10/04 posting on Market Farming, Economics of stating a market Farm and wanted to say thanks. Your posting answered a question I have been asking myself.

I bought 10 acres when I was 25, hopping to make a living on the land. Fortunately at that time, I was smart enough to know I needed a real job to pay the bills. After 30 yrs running a financial business, my career ended shortly after 9/11. I spent the next year trying to restart my business and then another looking for a way to make a living. I searched the web looking for ways to use my land. I used only information found on college web sites thinking it would be more reliable then the how to books people sell. The data on market farming looked like it might be the answer. For the past two years I have tried to make a go at it, and have modeled my business on Eliot Coleman’s book the NEW ORGANIC GROWER. While I have been moderately successful at copying his game plan the numbers never seemed to work out. For the past three months I have been reading profiles of successful growers and asking my self, what is it that I am doing wrong.

Andy King

Sunflower King’s Farm

Trumbauersville, PA