market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "marcy" <marcy AT aculink.net>
  • To: <lists AT rhomestead.com>, "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Squash blossoms
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:14:16 -0700

I hadn't planned to sell blossoms, but had several requests from customers
at the market after they saw I had squash. I had 4 varieties of patty pan
and Raven zucchini. I will try Costata Romanesco this year to see if there's
any difference. I found that the more vigorous varieties had bigger
blossoms. My best producers were Sunburst and Starship pattypan. Eight ball
and Raven had good blossoms also. I had some Green Tint and Butter pattypan
that weren't as prolific and their blossoms weren't as big or sturdy either.
I had thought I might do a couple later sowings, but the one planting I did
in late April just kept on going and going and going. I probably won't
bother with any successions this year. There were in general, it seemed, two
slow downs where the plants had to establish more leaf growth before they
produced more fruit again. They started bearing the first of July and kept
going through mid-October.

Marcy
SE Colo, zone 5