market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] grow lights

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] grow lights
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 13:42:15 -0500

Hi Judy,
Before coming to grow in Central Appalachia, i used to be gardening
teacher at my two girl's public waldorf methods school in Sacramento,
CA. We did so many aspects of organic growing with these city kids. For
seed-starting, we simply used shoplights set only a few inches above the
seedlings - on chains, so they could be regularly raised. I still start
my own transplants, and many for sale doing the same thing in our
south-facing basement windows - some 20-40 flats each year. I use one
cool tube and one warm tube - all inexpensive. No Grow Lights high
spectrum lighting is used here. Sometimes, i use whatever tubes are
around...with no problems. At the school, we used to set the kid's flats
under the lights, by windows and near the radiant heat vents of the
classroom. If it is fairly cool, you may need warmth underneath for good
germination of some things: grow mats or protected heating pads set
underneath old oven racks works. With kids, i'd be cautious about what
is underneath for safety's sake ;-) Those were some special times with
the inner city kids seeing where their victuals come from !
Good Luck - and enjoy the enthusiasm!
Toni
Red River Gorge, KY

anyone have simple designs for inexpensive 'grow' lights; not for
hydroponics; for seed starting. something simple for use in a classroom
on top of a
table.
thanks!
judy tiger, washington dc