market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heatforgreenhouses

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MARK A. ABNER" <wizard1 AT kih.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] bcs tractors and wood fired radiant heatforgreenhouses
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:39:15 -0500

Howdy folks
Thanks for the feed back on the wood boilers heated green house idea
and
the ifor on the bcs tractors. A lot of my thinking about the large model
is that a lot of my place is good ground but very rocky with lots of out
crop makeing it very difficult to work most of it with tractor mounted
equipment. There are several areas that I think I could take hay off of a
lot mor productively with the baler on the bcs than a conventional baler as
well as work a lot of beds in between out crops in the rich soil between
them where I cant possibly work with my ferguson 135. One of the things I
am hopeing I can do with the baler rig is put in an acre of alfalfa and
take mutliple cuttings a year off it to replace a lot of the grain I am
buying at the feed mill right now.
what I am mainly looking at getting is the 852 tractor with the 31
inch
brush mower 26 inch tiller the rotory plow 53 inch sickle bar cutter the
60" tedder/rake the bailer and the mini trencher. There are other
attachments I like the looks of but the budget is only so big : ). I am
doing an acre or so of veggitables probably half an acres of herb mainly
in beds around outcrops at least one 20 x 96 high tunnel and hopeing to
put in an acre of oats followed by alfalfa and over the next 2 years about
an acre of grapes.
My hope is that the 852 and these implements will be sufficiant to
take
care of the small aind itermediate stuff and my old ferguson can handle the
heavy work like main pasture bush hogging and handleing trees cut for barn
post or to be cut up for lumber and for mushroom logs ( another
agricultureal venture I am considering takeing a swing at).
I appreciate all the feed back and feel free to add anyting else that
comes to mind. I may have been farming all my life off and on but I am
tackleing a lot of stuff I havent before and have a lot to learn : ).

Mark Abner
BriarPatch Farms
Ritner KY