market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Bed Shaper

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Bed Shaper
  • Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 10:47:19 -0600

On Mon, Dec 12, 2005 at 10:20:42AM -0600, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Sorry about no info on the planter. I use 4 John Deere planters mounted on
> a draw bar. They're older than dirt. Each has a seed bin and changeable,
> rotating plates in the bottom of the bin. The number and spacing of
> notches
> on a plate determines plant spacing. Plant spacing can also be changed
> with
> drive chains and sprockets.

How small can you go on the seed? Okra? Beet/chard? Smaller?

On small seed:

I'm surprised you rely on rain to get your small seed up. We would
have many (I should say many MORE) crop establishment failures if we
didn't water them up.

Sounds like you may waste as much as 90% of the seed? That would limit
you to pretty cheap seed; you couldn't afford to direct seed hybrid
broccoli that way.

How did your "water blackberries with rainwater" project come out?
Still have blackberries?

We have had close to a west Texas rainfall year; not much over 20"
rather than our "normal" 30-40".

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.0/GNU/Linux system uptime 23 days 30 min minutes