market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrun AT arczip.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 19:20:17 -0500

Allan wrote:

I mulch thickly with wheat straw. I NEVER have to weed.
Never. It's just not an issue. Mulch is thick, but garlic comes right
through. I couldn't plant garlic biointensively if weeding was
necessary.

Up until this year I've done the same and you are right, no weeds and the garlic grows right up through the mulch. However this last year I lost about a third of my crop due to onion root maggots. (I didn't even see it coming until the garlic started rotting in June and when you pulled up the garlic bulbs you could see that the roots weren't healthy at all) I suspect the mulch was a great place for the flies to lay their eggs. What do you think? this next year I was thinking about putting down row covers in March before the last frost. Any other ideas?