market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <igg AT igg.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic spacing
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 19:07:26 -0500

5 rows across three feet, that's pretty impressive. we are a training and
employment program for persons w/ disabilities, so hoeing around/between
garlic is a challenge for us. am going to mulch well this year and leave
it on, then hand weed instead of using the tine weeder and hoeing. it
cannot do any worse than in the past when we lost our garlic to the weeds
and couldn't even find them at harvest time. Thanks for sharing your methods!

I plant biointensively, 6 inches apart, put down two rows of drip on a 42inch bed. I mulch thickly with wheat straw. I NEVER have to weed. Never. It's just not an issue. Mulch is thick, but garlic comes right through. I couldn't plant garlic biointensively if weeding was necessary.

Allan Balliett
Shepherdstown, WV