market-farming - [Market-farming] heavy metals in fish emulsion

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nan Johnson" <nan AT olemiss.edu>
  • To: "marketfarming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] heavy metals in fish emulsion
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 17:53:29 -0500

I had conversation todayat the university with a botantist re: the Ipomea aquatica ("sea spinach") that I was growing in a bucket using some fish emulsion.

 He said NOT to use fish emulsion, since it usually has heavy metals and this particular species (which I have been growing and eating, it is delicious) is especially good at pulling up heavy metals (unlike, say, lettuce!).

Having used fish emulsion for years, I was disturbed, though I realize it is not as much an issue on most vegetable crops, especially when they are grown in soil, not hydroponically.

My question - are there any BRANDS of fish emulsion that are certified heavy metal free (based on the type of fish used and the area the fish are caught, etc.).

OR any hydroponic fertilizers that are "organic" but not using heavy metal fish emulsion in the formula?

 This botantist would prefer that I use MiracleGrow (but it's my own personal plant, so I can do anything I want!)  thanks, nan at dancing goats farm
            n.mississippi, zone 7b