market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Turnip Green Storage

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Turnip Green Storage
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:16:07 -0500

On Wed, Oct 12, 2005 at 07:44:57AM -0500, TxBeeFarmer wrote:
> Seem to be having a problem with turnip greens. Even when picked the
> afternoon before the market, they are wilted and not very attractive.
> Should I be putting them in water or something like that?

I have good success treating greens thusly:
1) rinse shortly after picking
2) pack wet in restricted air flow containers:
a) plastic tubs with lids
b) I also use banana boxes with two sheets of the banana plastic
that are included with the bananas, one lining the inside and one over
the top and sandwiched between top and bottom.
3) store in as cool a place as possible.

At markets, we leave the greens in the containers as long as possible.
In hot sunny weather, especially when action is not brisk, we may
display only a few bunches in large clear plastic bags. Such a modest
size display may cut down on sales.

How are your blackberries doing? And your stored rainwater irrigation?

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Linux system uptime 471 days 20 hours 08 minutes