market-farming - [Market-farming] Squash Plant Longevity

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT hotpop.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Squash Plant Longevity
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:04:09 -0500

This question may be simple to most of you, but I just don't know the answer.

I plant two or three kinds of squash each year. And..., each year the squash plants produce like crazy for a while, turn gray, and die. I always thought this was just the way it was supposed to be and chalked it up to the natural cycle of squash plants. Now I'm not sure. Is it possible that it's the squash bugs that cause the plants to "crash" after a period of time? Could I get a much longer crop of squash by controlling the squash bugs better? Oh yes..., I know the bugs cause a lot of damage to the plants, but is it the s. bug that actually causes the plants to crash, and could I get another month out of the plants if I focus on s. bug control? Is the extra production I'd get by controlling the s. bugs worth the time and effort to control the s. bugs?

Told ya it was simple, but I don't know where else to find "REAL" answers from folks who have tried it with and without the beloved s. bugs.

Thanks for your help.

TxBeeFarmer
Mark (West Texas - Zone 7b)