market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] time to put 'em to work?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Old Timin'" <oldtimin AT williams-net.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] time to put 'em to work?
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 14:46:30 -0400

I have also just this year started working with draft animals. I have a great belgiun mare that I use now. I also have a mammoth jack donkey that I plan to breed to my mare and make mules with. I hope to use my mare to train my mule to work also. I find them far more enjoyable that engine powered equipment. If you just look at speed they are not the best method. It is when you look at their other traits that their advantages come out. You can work the soil much earlier with animals, they are quieter, anything that leaks out of them in the field is good for the soil, they make fertilizer for you and can help make their own fuel, they come out to greet you when you go out to them,they smell better IMHO, and they can do many other non gardening things, like pleasure riding etc..
Oldtimin