market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] time to put 'em to work?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost AT gilanet.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] time to put 'em to work?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:01:51 -0600

This info is very handy and quick to build. It was originally posted on my
OWL-Old Ways Living group (which I invite you to join). Hope this
helps......
To visit your group on the web, go to:
To subscribe from this group, send an email to:
OWL-OldWaysLiving-subscribe AT yahoogroups.com

Barb

====
With all these links you can have a comprehensive "low tech" way of
building donkey and oxen carts and harnesses. Very easy,and you can
literally start your own business and be in demand! I would download all
these pdf's and assemble a library now-while the links are still
accessible..you never know when you might not be able to find the
info.......
One of my particular favorites is:

TR29 Low Cost Steel Framed Cart for Two Donkeys (1999) 9pp PDF 100kb
PDF link-http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr29.pdf

In this booklet we tell you how to make a simple cart from square steel
tube and timber. This Technical Release does not tell you here how to make
the axle - you will have to read another Technical Release to for this. We
have designs for stub axles with PVC bearings and with needle roller
bearings that you can make yourself and we have designs for twin offset
axles using PVC, wood and scrap ball bearings. All axles can be made
without machine tools - in fact you do not even need a drill!
two men can probably make one cart in a day.We've designed these carts to
be easy and quick to make.
These carts have been tested in Nigeria, Kenya and Uganda and we have had
only a few serious failures caused by poor welding or incorrect material.

=======================================

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/animals.html

Animal Traction

The main internal publications of the DTU are Working Papers, Technical
Releases and Research Notes. Most DTU publications are available here for
download in a number of formats and hard copies of Working Papers are
available free on request to the DTU. Technical Releases will also be sent
free on request but only to addressees in developing countries.

* Technical Notes contain descriptions of designs/techniques for use by
manufacturers, extension agents and users of equipment, written in fairly
simple English to make them more accessible to technicians speaking other
languages.

* Working Papers are used for descriptions of research findings and are
written for a "professional" audience: comments are welcome. In some cases
revised versions are subsequently published in outside journals.

* Research Notes are smaller outputs from our research,progress reports
of research undertaken by the DTU but as yet incomplete, case study
material, and exceptional undergraduate research reports. Often these notes
form the basis of fuller Working Paper

TR20 - Steel Four Frame Cart For One Donkey (1994) 8pp PDF 140kb

This is a light cart for one donkey or for use as a handcart. It is
made from square steel tube welded together and timber planks fixed with
clenched studs. The planks are part of the structure of this cart and so
must be fitted.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr20.pdf

TR21 Pipe and Roller Donkey-Cart Axles (1994) 10 pp PDF 160kb

An axle which blacksmiths and fabricators can make with fairly simple
tools without having to get parts machined.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr21.pdf

TR22 Pipe and Roller Ox-Cart Axles (1994) 10 pp PDF 170kb

An axle which blacksmiths and fabricators can make with fairly simple
tools without having to get parts machined.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr22.pdf

TR23 Steel Frame and Wood Donkey Cart (1994) 7 pp PDF 120kb

Cart design using square section steel box tubing (RHS rolled hollow
section) plus wooden planks. The planks are fixed to the frame with 6mm
diameter steel rod (small concrete reinforcing bar). This cart has two
shafts for a single donkey but one central one can be fitted for two
animals.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr23.pdf

=======================================

TR24 Simple Low-Cost Wooden Ox Cart (1994) 10 pp PDF 120kb
This cart uses wooden planks and timber. The planks are fixed to the
frames with 6mm diameter steel rod (small concrete reinforcing bar)
clenched over at both ends a bit like copper nails are used in boat
building.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr24.pdf

TR25 Light Steel and Wood Donkey Cart (1994) 10 pp PDF 120kb

This cart uses square section steel box tubing (RHS rolled hollow
section) plus wooden planks. The planks are fixed to the frame with 6mm
diameter steel rod (small concrete reinforcing bar). This cart has two
shafts for a single donkey.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr25.pdf

TR26 Steel Frame and Wood Ox-Cart (1994) 7 pp PDF 120kb

This cart uses wooden planks and timber. The planks are fixed to the
frames with 6 mm to 12 mm diameter steel rod (concrete reinforcing bar)
clenched over a bit like copper nails used in boat building.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr26.pdf

===============================

TR27 Single Donkey Harness for Cart Pulling (1999) 10pp PDF 110kb

How to make a saddle and harness system for one donkey to pull a cart
with two shafts.

Wooden pads are fixed so that they can hinge and fit the animal
whatever its size and movement. The saddles are made from wood planks and
steel box tubing and the harness is easily made by jua- kali in a few
hours.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr27.pdf

TR28 Pipe Plain Bearing Donkey Cart Axle (1996) 13pp PDF 150kb

An axle which blacksmiths and fabricators can make with fairly simple
tools - without having to get parts machined. The hubs in this design use
2" BSP pipe on 1 1 / 2 " BSP axles so that they have a small diameter and
will fit most scrap car wheels.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr28.pdf

TR29 Low Cost Steel Framed Cart for Two Donkeys (1999) 9pp PDF 100kb

This cart uses wooden planks and timber for a quickly made and
economical cart. The planks are fixed to the frames with 8 mm or 10 mm
diameter steel rod (concrete reinforcing bar) clenched over. The cart also
has an optional brake which works on the outside of each tyre.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr29.pdf

TR30 Light Single Drum Water Carrier (1999) 8pp PDF 90kb

This cart uses square section steel box tubing (RHS rolled hollow
section) and a 200 litre drum. The cart is reinforced with concrete
reinforcing bar. This cart has two shafts for a single donkey.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr30.pdf

TR33 Low Cost Vestigial Steel Framed Cart for Two Oxen (1999) 9pp PDF 100kb

This cart uses wooden planks and timber. The planks are fixed to the
frames with 8 mm or 10 mm diameter steel rod (concrete reinforcing bar)
clenched over. It also has an optional brake which works on the outside of
each tyre. A rope tied to the loop at the top of the lever allows brake
operation when walking behind the cart.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr33.pdf

TR34 Vestigial Wooden Frame 2- Ox Cart (1999) 11pp PDF 140kb

This cart uses wooden planks and timber for a quickly made and
economical cart. The planks are fixed to the frames with 5" nails or
lengths of 6mm diameter steel rod (small concrete reinforcing bar) clenched
over.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr34.pdf

TR35 Making a flatbit for drilling holes in wood (1999) 4pp PDF 50kb

This type of drill bit can be made in a few minutes and will drill
holes well in wood and soft metal such as copper and aluminium. If it is
hardened it will work in steel as well.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr35.pdf

TR36 Twin Plastic Plain Bearing Axle for Donkey Carts (1999) 13pp PDF 144kb

Bearings are made of PVC water pipe.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr36.pdf

TR37 Twin Wood Plain Bearing Axle for Donkey Carts (1999) 13pp PDF 140kb

A bearing suitable for a simple donky cart made from round steel tube
and wooden planks.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr37.pdf

TR38 Simple Low- cost Brake for Donkey Carts (1999) 8pp PDF 70kb

Describes how to make a brake for a steel framed DTU donkey cart from
round and square steel tube.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr38.pdf

TR39 Steel Wire Rim Wheel for Donkey Carts (1999) 6pp PDF 360kb

Describes how to make steel wire or bar rim wheels for donkey carts.
The advantages of this type of wheel are that it cannot be punctured and
that it is quite easy to make.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr39.pdf

TR40 Double Donkey Harness for Cart Pulling (1999) 13pp PDF 150kb

This harness uses special saddles to harness the donkeys in a
comfortable and effective way. The harness is easily made by jua- kali in a
few hours. The saddles are made from wood planks and steel box tubing. The
wooden pads are fixed so that they can hinge and fit the animal whatever
its size and movement

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr40.pdf

TR41Twin Ball Bearing Axle for Donkey Carts (1999) 14pp PDF 150kb

Novel bearing arrangement for animal carts using scrap (or new) ball-
race, running on outside of full width axle. No machining or accurate work
required. Bearing may be replaced with different size. Only one bearing per
wheel required.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr41.pdf

TR42 Wooden Flexwheel for Donkey Carts (1999) 18pp PDF 160kb

Describes how to make wooden wheels with scrap rubber tyre rims for
donkey carts. The idea for these wheels comes from TDAU and Kasisi Mission
in Zambia. This type of wheel cannot be punctured and it is quite easy to
make. Unfortunately although the wheel itself is made without steel, the
fixing to the axle does need welding.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr42.pdf

TR43 Wheel Spanner for Animal Carts (1999) 5pp PDF 50kb

Describes how to make a spanner for M12 wheel nuts from round bar and a
bit of welding.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr43.pdf

TR44 As Cast Aluminium Wheel With Integral Roller Bearing (1999) 7pp PDF
210kb

Unmachined cast aluminium wheel for animal carts using simple pipe
rollers as a low cost roller bearing.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr44.pdf

TR46 Straight Hame Collar for Donkey Harness (1999) 11pp PDF 190kb

This technical release covers the manufacture of a straight hame collar
for donkeys. Collars allow the highest draught (pull) from a particular
animal. Collars can be used to pull carts or agricultural implements. This
chapter shows both a steel and a wooden design.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr46.pdf

TR47 PVC Plain Bearing Ox Cart Axle (1999) 14pp PDF 160kb

Pipe and plastic plain bearing axle. Hub uses unhardened mild steel and
plastic pipe and can be made using only a welder, a hacksaw and very simple
handtools - drilling is not required.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr47.pdf

TR48 Simple Chain and Wood Saddle for Donkeys (1999) 11pp PDF 370kb

Covers a simple but effective saddle design for donkeys pulling carts,
though it can be used for other purposes. Saddles are necessary in a cart
harness because vertical loads must be applied by the animal to stabilise
the cart. We have adapted the saddle shown here only slightly from a design
used by many farmers in the Mwea area in Kenya.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/tr/animals/tr48.pdf

Working Papers

WP42 Low-Cost Rural Transport in Sierra Leone,
C.E. Oram & T.H. Thomas (1994), 15pp

This short paper reviews the demand for rural transport services and
discusses the present inadequacy of such provision in Sierra Leone. It
examines the main transport modes that might meet its transport needs and
concludes that both animal power and assisted human powered transport have
the potential for a significant contribution. The focus of the paper is on
the provision of vehicles rather than on the provision of roads and paths,
and various interventions are suggested relating to the use and manufacture
of such vehicles. In this context manufacturer training, marketing and
vehicle design, are discussed. It is concluded that small town
manufacturers and artisans are the most appropriate sources of vehicles for
rural transport and that their needs for profit and return on labour must
be met if there is to be any hope of sustainable development.

Note: scan of the original document.

HTML
http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/wp/wp42/001cov.html

PDF 470kb
http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/wp/wp42/wp42.pdf

WP43 African Ox-Cart Design and Manufacture, PDF 770kb
H.S. Pearson, C.E. Oram & T.H. Thomas (1994) 62 pp.

Covers work carried out by HS Pearson and colleagues in northern
Nigeria in 1993 and 1994. The paper is divided into two parts: part A
(sections 1 to 4) discusses animal carts in general, the design options
available for their various components, the particular circumstances
affecting the development of the DTU Borno oxcart, and its main design
features; part B is a set of full manufacturing instructions for the basic
cart and some minor variations of it.

http://www.eng.warwick.ac.uk/DTU/pubs/wp/wp43/wp43.pdf

=========