market-farming - [Market-farming] yellowjackets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] yellowjackets
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 16:05:23 -0700 (PDT)

> I am in the NW and know exactly what Sora is up against with these wasps.
> These things are nasty!
>
> Nasty is putting it mildly! I've gotten a lot of conflicting info. But
from what I've gleaned...The best time to trap is early in the spring
with meat (hence the name "meat bees" The females are attracted and
trapping them greatly reduces the number of hives each of which can have
up to 15,000 wasps. Later in the summer, now, the hives are built and
extremely active. The workers then hunt for vast amounts of sugar.
This seems to be true. I've recently put out traps with meat with
absolutely no success, not one! Yet, my raspberries and the neighbor's
cherries are absolutely swarmed. Oh well, it might be a moot point, the
weather service is calling for 60 mph winds with golf ball sized
hail.....ain't farmin grand...
Sora at Paradise Valley Organics