market-farming - [Market-farming] yellowjackets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "mtlivestock" <crublee AT libby.org>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] yellowjackets
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 05:38:28 -0600

I am in the NW and know exactly what Sora is up against with these wasps.
These things are nasty!

I have done two things to clear nests. First drown the nest. Then let my
hogs at them. Leaving the hose running on the nest as the pigs dig helps
the hogs not get stung too often. The hogs do a great job and is
destructive enough to encourage the wasps to go very far to build another
nest.

I have heard putting a small ball of hamburg in a jar of water helps. Leave
it for the hamburg to rot. The wasps are supposed to be lured by the
rotting meat. They drown after feeding as the ball of hamburger tends to
roll when there are many wasps on the hamburg. I have also heard it stinks
horribly. Try not to place it where your home is downwind!

Check the nest area. Sometimes they start the nest in or under rotten hay,
straw, or old boards. Clear the surrounding area as you destroy the nest.
This will encourage them not to rebuild.