market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 31, Issue 6

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 31, Issue 6
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 12:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

>> First off, yellow jackets are not bees! A too-common
> misconception
> we beekeepers are constantly at war with.
>
> Having got that public service announcement out of the way, a bit
> of
> fuel and a match (simpler to light a cloth and toss it, especially if
> using
> gasoline - diesel/kerosene is much safer)

Sorry about the misnomer! The locals around here call the yellowjackets,
"meat bees" In reality they are a form of wasp which means they can sting
repeatedly. They are also Extremely agressive, especially if the nest is
messed with. I managed to kill off one huge nest but have found several
smaller new ones to take its place. I tried hosing them out a few weeks
ago, a few got soggy and dazed but the remaining 15,000 or so went for the
full on attack. As to the fuel and match theory, I'm up in the North
woods where the temps have been running in the upper 90's and fire danger
is at it's most extreme. Just last week, one spark off the railroad with a
bit of wind just torched a few thousand acres...Now the plan with the hunk
of meat/fish and a bucket sounds possible. I'll try it tonight after the
frenzy dies down a bit.
Many thanks to all who responded! It's survival mode here.....
Sora @ Paradise Valley Organics