market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: road's end farm <organic101 AT linkny.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed
  • Date: Sun, 7 Aug 2005 23:27:08 -0400

On Aug 7, 2005, at 10:23 PM, Pete Mattli wrote:

<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller>I love growing tomatoes, especially those grown from seed,</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> but you see what I've been up against. Tell me where I can</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> buy organically produced  seeds that stand a chance against</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> the myriad fungus types that seem to dog my every step, and</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> I'll immediately reactivate my</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> membership in the</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>I Love Tomatoes Fan Club</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>of which I was a charter member.</x-tad-smaller>

In the past couple of years I've bought organic tomato seed from: Fedco (Amish Paste, Bellstar, Brandywine); Johnny's (Gold Nugget); Seed Savers (Lemon Drop); Territorial (Persimmon); and High Mowing (Yellow Pear); as well as growing my own of one variety that's not to my knowledge on the market. They all grew just fine. (The Yellow Pear didn't taste like much here; but in my experience tomato flavor can be *very* local and they might taste better on the other side of the hill.)

Are you sure it's the seed and not, for instance, the potting soil? If you had an occasional variety that wouldn't grow, I'd think it was the seed. But if nothing will, then I'd suspect some problem other than the seed.
<x-tad-bigger> </x-tad-bigger>
<x-tad-smaller>Pete from Willow Crick, NY</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>[ 2 miles from Jacksonville,</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>which is 6 miles from Trumansburg,</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>and from there you head due west</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> to get to HorseHeads, NY ]
</x-tad-smaller>

Hmmm. If I went due west from Trumansburg I'd expect to wind up in the lake. at least unless I stopped sooner. Certainly not in Horseheads which is significantly south. Oh well. "In the lake" sounds like a good idea in this weather, anyway.

  • Re: [Market-farming] Why Organic Seed, road's end farm, 08/07/2005