market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Irrigation pump info

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Wendy & Randy Gray <hoemangray AT earthlink.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Irrigation pump info
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 14:48:12 -0400 (EDT)

Bill - a few more thoughts - which are dependent upon the clarity of your water!  We first tried putting a 2' culvert vertically in our ditch with holes cut in it and screen wrapped around the outside - didn't work, clogged too fast! They we put 4 steel fenceposts in and ran the screen around those - same outcome - the screen clogged and eventually no water for the intake valve!  So, we've determined that having the valve free floating and the screen running downstream works the best! Of course, our system does require a separate power meter, pressure switch, and we should have another switch that detects if no sprinklers are on (these are more expensive) - but when my son was 3 he turned off all the sprinklers one night and I didn't realize it and we fried the pump! So, a good pump/irrigation electrician is also a consideration!  Since we're so far from the creek, we also ran a wire (in its own conduit) next to the water line so that we can turn the pump on and off remotely - which works most of the time, unless the pump loses its prime!
Good luck,
Wendy